The arms for the Sphere with Triangles are made following the principle used for Heart #050 with Triangles. First you prepare each arm from two parts of different colour and then weave them together like the simple Sphere #001.
The Sphere is made from 2 times 12 arms. Each arm is made from 2 pieces cut from different templates. You may combine and weave the pieces in different ways.
This tutorial is for the sphere shown on the picture.
Cut the following pieces in paper of quality 80 – 110 g/m2:
- 12 arms type 1 in colour A (here they are black)
- 12 arms type 2 in colour B (turquoise)
- 12 arms type 1 mirrored in colour C (dark red)
- 12 arms type 2 mirrored in colour D (pale red)
- 1 circular piece in colour A and 1 in colour B
First thing to do is to “twirl” together the two different arm pieces.
1. Place the two pieces you want to twirl next to each other. The “heads” with the small cut shall be at the top.
2. Place the piece with the longest “head” (black) on top of the other (turquoise). No holes must show.
3. Now you must twirl the two arm pieces. Keep together the two pieces of the “head” with left hands thumb and forefinger. With your right hand lift up the piece in front (black) and place it behind the other piece (turquoise) using the first notch along the right edge of the turquoise piece to make the colours shift while still maintaining the outer shape of the arm.
4. Again lift up the piece in the upper layer (turquoise) and place it behind the other piece (black) using the next notch along the right edge to make the colours shift.
5. Continue twirling until all notches are used. Twirl the remaining 11 arms in the same way.
6. Prepare also the 12 mirrored arms. Here the dark red piece is the one showing at the “head”.
7. Weave the sphere just like Sphere #001.
8. Glue the arms to the circular piece. The triangles you glue should all be those with the small cut. Weave as much as possible while still flat.
9. Consider the back side of the project. If you prefer horizontal stripes, this side may show on the surface of the sphere.
10. Tighten the weaving using paper clips and the project will go 3d.
11. Weave the rest and secure pairs of arms with glue. Cover the closure with a circular piece if you prefer.